Symbian Belle is now available for more Symbian devices, last I checked there were over 900 firmware versions available on Navifirm just for the N8, so for most people with an N8, as well as C7, E7, E6, C6-01 and X7, you should find an update waiting for you if you have not already done so. Nokia 500 will be getting the update in a few weeks time. Nokia has an availability map so you can see if the version is available for your region and product code.
If you are not sure what the fuss is all about, you can find out about Nokia Belle on Nokia’s website for it.
IN all this excitement, I went to update mine, but there was a hitch – I was already running firmware version 111.030.609, just a leaked eastern European version. Not seeing any way to use the official tools to update, nor seeing it on Navifirm, i tried to roll back and was worried I bricked my phone. I got it all working in the end so with that in mind, here are some rules for flashing your phone.
- First off, you might not need to. After the update is really available (not just the map tool saying it is) you will have a option to re-install your version in Nokia Suite or Nokia Software Updater.
- If you do still want to flash, never go back – don’t go from Belle to Anna or even bell to that 111.030.607 custom firmware with that added feature X you just have to try.
- Actually not 100% true, but you do risk bricking your device if you downgrade
- If you really must downgrade, go back to PR 1.0 and then use the suite/software updater or use Pheonix/a flashing tool of your choice to upgrade to the version you want.
- If you phone will flash but won’t power on, re-flash the last version of the firmware that worked for you. This will (usually, I’m told) fix the problem.