So yesterday I posted my opinion of the news that AT&T are buying T-mobile. Now one thing this would mean is a single GSM operator in the US which would give them huge influence over any manufacturer who didn’t build CDMA handsets, such as Nokia.
However, Forbes magazine reports that Nokia will be building CDMA handsets for the US market next year, running Windows Phone, but not Symbian. While this is somewhat disappointing that there will be no Symbian handsets for T-Mobile customers who say, like their experince of the Astound/C7 but don’t like AT&T, at least Nokia fans and Windows Phone fans will have a choice here in the US.
In an interview at the CTIA Wireless conference, Nokia USA Vice President and General Manager Mark Slater told Forbes that the Finnish company is unlikely to make any CDMA phones that run on Symbian, Nokia’s longtime mobile operating system. Instead, Nokia will wait until it has devices on Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform. “Our go-forward smartphone platform for CDMA will be Windows,” said Slater.
- Nokia lauches the c7/Astond in the US on T-Mobile – $80 on contract
- T-Mobile was to get a whole bunch of cool stuff courtesy of Audi, BMW and ZTE – car infotainment systems (built in for Audi, using the Dell Streak for BMW), and a 42Mbps 3G Modem which will connect to 5 devices via wifi – Did any of these know 1700mhz 3G would be going away if the AT&T-Mobile deal goes through.
- Microsoft released their first update for Windows Phone, bringing Copy and Paste to the masses
- Nokia also released a Symbian 3 update – pr 1.2 (1.1 on E7) which is a minor update, and not the pr2.0 everyone is hoping for (though you will have it from April 6th if you buy the T-Mobile USA version of the C7/Astound).
- New versions of mobile browsers: Firefox has a new beta for Maemo+Android, Opera has new versions of Opera Mobile and Opera Mini for Maemo, Symbian 3, S60 and Android.
- Tons of conflicting rumors for when Nokia will have a windows phone – on the one hand, it could be a year or so from now for their first device, on the other hand, they could have 4 in R+D right now with one to be released before Christmas and others and a tablet out in time for Mobile World Congress 2012 – Tablet running MeeGo or Windows 8.